Sunday, May 10, 2015

6 Doggone Good Reasons to Get a Dog

Yes, I have written about dogs before. Have I said enough? Never! There's always more to say! No one will ever be able to say enough about these fantastic creatures. Anyway, let's get started.

 Dogs are literally saviors. My mom's friend lost her daughter a while back and just recently lost her husband. She said that if she hadn't had her dogs that there would've been no reason to go on living. Dogs can bring you out of your darkest times and turn on the light!



Dogs provide you with the ultimate companionship. They care about you more than they care about themselves. They'll always put you first and themselves second. They'll be with you for the good times and the bad ones. They don't care how you look or smell, they just love you for being you!

Dogs help you exercise. Not many people love to exercise, but when you're taking your dog for a walk or playing fetch, you're exercising and enjoying it. You wouldn't have to exercise alone ever again. You can take your dog on runs with you or swim together, there are plenty of things to do with a dog that would benefit you and make your dog a happy pant/er! 

 If you're a stressed person, dogs can help you with that. Most people get stressed, overwhelmed, or they just had a bad day, but one look at your dog's face will surely make you wag your own tail! Even just petting a dog can help you relieve your stress. When I'm sad or stressed about something, I can always count on my dog to cheer me up. She'll sit with me and listen to me talk about what's bothering me and making me upset, and she'll wag her tail and give me all kinds of kisses! Dogs can sense if you're sad just by hearing you speak. You can always count on a dog to make you smile! 

Dogs are great at protecting. They'll do their job night or day. If my dogs hear a knock at the door, they're there barking ready to see who it is. If a robbery was happening while I was asleep, I could definitely count on my pooch alerting me. You can always get your dog trained to be a guard/security dog. If you're looking for a guard dog, I suggest a German Shepard or another big dog.  

Dogs can teach you many things and routines are one of those many things. When you have a dog, you have to follow a routine. Wake up, feed the dog, walk the dog, etc. When you have one routine it'll help you with others. Pretend you're not very good at doing the dishes every morning and night, if you follow your routine once with one thing (like your dog) you'll keep up with your others. 

 If you decide to rescue a dog (which I strongly suggest), you're saving that dog's life plus others. Even if you only get one dog, you're still helping the others by giving new rescues a place to stay until they find their forever home! Most shelters euthanize dogs that they don't think will get a home because he/she is "unsocial" or "aggressive". They also euthanize to make room for other dogs or if the dog is old or sick.

When one person adopts a dog from a kill shelter the world won't change, but for that dog his world changes forever. Most rescues are non-kill, but if they get too many dogs the rescue tends to give a few dogs to the kill shelter and hope for the best.

When you have a dog, you care for him/her for the rest of their life. You put their needs before yours. If you just finished work and you're ready for a nap, but your dog hasn't eaten all day you have to feed your pooch before you sleep. If you just woke up and you're ready for breakfast, you have to remember that you have a dog that's been waiting for food too. Pretend you just had a rough day, but your dog wants to play, you're going to want to play with them for a little before you dig into the ice cream.

 You have someone to care for, but you also have someone caring for you. You have a responsibility when you decide to get a fur baby. They may be a lot of work, but aren't the best things the things you have to work for? 

After you've heard about all these amazing things about dogs and you want to get one, just make sure you'll be able to handle one. If you think that a little dog won't need much attention, you're wrong! 

All dogs large or small need as much attention as they can get. I wish everyone could have a dog, but most people can't handle one. If you think that you're a person who won't be able to handle a dog, do not get one! Maybe start with something small and work your way up. 

I hope you're seeing why people love dogs so much and I hope you're ready to get one. Dogs are magnificent creatures and I can't imagine my life without one. I really do hope that you can someday share the same love that I have for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment